Thursday, October 13, 2011

Small victories

This week has been all about getting back into the groove of working out and eating right.  May not seem that adventurous on the outside, but to a person who is naturally shy and lazy, lots of bravery required!

First, the kiddos and I are getting settled into the gym co-op.  Getting down to Camp Foster is a bit of a drive (about 35-40 minutes - ug!!  And imagine streets like Powell Blvd in Portland but without left turn lanes and people randomly stopped in the right hand lane.  Now throw in some aggressive taxi cabs that know if you hit them it's your fault no matter what and you'll have to pay for their lost wages - that's my commute.  Good times!)  But the co-op means free childcare while I work out and Owen gets to socialize, so the drive is definitely worth it!  (Here's a post on There She Goes about the co-op if anyone's interested.)

So far, I've only used the treadmills in the gym.  I'm hoping to start kickboxing classes soon (oh lord - my abs are a hot mess!) and eventually get back in the pool to train for some triathlons next year (the thought of putting on a swimsuit is frightening right now).

As far as running goes, I'm just focusing on getting back into running shape with the Couch 2 5k program.  Then I'd like to focus on building a base for a while.  Eventually I want to do marathons again (there's at least the races in Okinawa and Naha that I have my eye on).  For now though, simply getting back to basics.

I've also found a couple of running groups.  The first is WOOT - Women On Okinawan Trails.  The second is WOOP - Women On Okinawa Pavement.  I still haven't been out for a group run yet (thanks to my shyness and the fact that I don't have a double jogging stroller).  But hopefully I'll get out with those ladies soon.

Definitely looking forward to doing some more exploring of this island this weekend  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment